Can Godís Precious Word
"For the word of God is quick [living], and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit" (Hebrews 4:12).
"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes" (Psalm 19:7-8).
1. It is able to make me wise unto salvation: "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus" (2 Timothy 3:15).
2. It can powerfully work in me: "For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the Word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the Word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe" (1 Thess. 2:13).
3. It is able to nourish me and help me to grow: "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the Word, that ye may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2).
4. It is able to build me up: "And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified" (Acts 20:32)
5. It is able to keep me on Gods path: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).
6. It can make me strong: "I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one" (1 John 2:14).
7. It can give me assurance: "These things have I written unto you that believe on the Name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life" (1 John 5:13).
8. It can keep me from sin: "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee....Order my steps in Thy Word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me" (Psalm 119:11,133).
9. It can keep me from error: "Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God" (Matthew 22:29).
10. It is able to warn me: "Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition [warning], upon whom the ends of the world are come. Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall" (1 Cor. 10:11-12).
As Bible readers and Bible believers we ought to be looking for a command to obey, a promise to believe, a sin to avoid, an example to follow, a bad example to shun, and a warning to heed.
11. It is able to protect me: "And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God" (Ephesians 6:17 and compare Matthew 4:1-12).
12. It is able to pierce my soul: "For the word of God is quick [living], and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).
13. It can keep me from fearing the future: "And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet....Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away" (Matthew 24:6,35).
14. It is able to give me a song in my heart: "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord" (Colossians 3:16).
15. It is able to give me joy: "The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes" (Psalm 19:8 and see Psalm 119:111).
16. It can encourage me and cause me to "keep on keeping on": "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope" (Rom. 15:4).
17. It can set me free: "Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, If ye continue in My word, then are ye My disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:31-32).
18. It can make me holy: "Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy Word is truth" (John 17:17).
19. It can save (deliver) my soul: "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls" (James 1:21).
20. It can point out Jesus Christ, the object of saving faith: "But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His Name" (John 20:31).