1. I must be born again.
"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God....Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again" (John 3:3,7).
The person who is not born again cannot understand God's Word:
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Cor. 2:14).
2. I must desire to know the truth as found in God's Word.
"Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, If ye continue in My Word, then are ye My disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:31-32).
3. I must desire to DO God's will.
"Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not Mine, but His that sent Me. If any man will do His will, He shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of Myself" (John 7:16-17).
4. I must desire to GROW.
"As newborn babes, DESIRE the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby" (1 Pet. 2:2).
5. I must obey the truth that I already know.
"If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them" (John 13:17).
6. I must be a DOER of the Word and not a hearer only.
"But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves" (James 1:22).
7. I must not only learn Christ's commandments but I must learn to observe (keep) His commandments.
"Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen" (Matthew 28:20).
8. I must take heed not only to the doctrine but to MYSELF.
"Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee" (1 Timothy 4:16 and see also Acts 20:28).
9. I must understand that Bible study is hard work.
"STUDY (be diligent, make every effort) to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15).
10. I must realize that understanding is a gift from the Lord and thus I need to be right with the Lord and spiritually prepared and ready to receive understanding from Him.
"Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things....Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls" (1 Timothy 2:7; James 1:21).
|The Middletown Bible Church
349 East Street
Middletown, CT 06457
|More articles under Bible Study|